For a julienne:
- Trim the rounded sides of each piece so that a sort of rectangle if created.
- Cut each rectangle lengthwise into 1/8 inch slices.
- Stack several of the slices together and cut lengthwise again, creating thin batons called julienne.
- Continue with remaining carrot pieces.
- To make a dice then stack the juliennes and cut across creating a dice
To julienne a red pepper:
- Remove the stem halve and remove ribs carefully.
- Cut the red pepper into thin strips.
- For chopping peppers, stand pepper upright, holding the stem. Remove each side, so that you have four pieces and discard the stems and seeds.
- Slice the pieces lengthwise and then cut crosswise so that you have chopped peppers that can be sauteed.
For a dice:
- Start by slicing an eggplant crosswise.
- Stack the rounds and slice then rotate and cut again, leaving you with diced eggplant.
For a chop:
- Lay half of a peeled onion, cut side down on the cutting board.
- Holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, make several horizontal slices without cutting through the root end of the onion.
- Next, cut the onion vertically making several slices through the onion layers.
- Finally, cut across the last vertical slices creating a dice.
For a mince:
- Holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, make several horizontal slices without cutting all the way through.
- Next cut the clove vertically making several slices through the clove layers.
- Finally cut across the last vertical slices creating a mince.