- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter
- 6 cups of diced peeled pears
- 2 cups of onions, chopped
- 2 cups of leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 tsp of garlic, minced
- 3 tbs of unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tbs of curry powder
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tbs of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onions
- 1 tbs of liquid honey
- 1 tbs of toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup of plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan melt butter and add pears, onions, leeks and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and curry powder and saute until the pears become soft, about 5 minutes.
- Next stir in chicken stock and dry white wine.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the soup is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, it will take about 2 to 3 minutes. You can use a blender by adding small batches at a time or a food processor.
For the yogurt topping:
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat add sliced scallions and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add honey and sesame oil and cook for about a minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in plain yogurt.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the garnish.