- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered and cut into ½ inch slices
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp of ground mace
- 1/4 cup of dark rum
- 2/3 cup of water
- To prepare butternut squash, peel, seed and quarter, then cut into half-inch slices.
- Add the slices to a large saucepan and add water, maple syrup, ground nutmeg, and dark rum.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Transfer the squash with a slotted spoon to a heated serving dish
- Reserve the cooking liquid and boil until thickened. Pour over the squash.