- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Butchers twine
- Roasting Pan
Turkey defrosting times: 8 to 12 pounds will take 1 to 2 days. 12 to 16 pounds will take 2 to 3 days. Allow approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 F.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- First remove the giblets and neck from the cavity. You can reserve these parts for the gravy.
- Rinse the turkey with cold running water and drain well.
- Blot dry with paper towels.
- Season the inside cavity with salt and pepper.
- Fold the wings under the body, to prevent the tips from burning.
- Tie the legs together with butcher string.
- Fold the neck skin and fasten it to the back with a skewer.
- Drizzle the outside of the turkey with Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow a roasting pan no more than 2.5 inch deep.
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Roast the turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 3-1/2 hours depending on the weight.
- Frequently baste the turkey with the pan juices.
- Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 165 degrees F.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and allow the bird to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.