- 2 tbs of butter
- 2 cups of chopped cored cooking apples (about 2 medium)
- 3 cups of day-old bread cubes (about 3 slices)
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- Whipped cream, whipped topping or ice cream, optional
- In a small saucepan heat butter and stir in the chopped apples.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole lightly toss together apples with day old bread and raisins.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over apple mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until knife inserted near center comes out clean-about 45 to 55 minutes.
- For optimal browning, cook with the cover off for the last 15 minutes.