- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 quart milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 of a cub of bourbon
- 1/3 of a cup of dark rum
- In a large saucepan, beat together eggs, sugar and salt.
- Stir in just two cups of milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Make sure to get in the corners of the pan or the eggs might curdle when they get hot.
- When the mixture reaches 160 F or is thick enough to coat a spoon with a thin film, remove from the heat.
- Mix together the bourbon and dark rum but the alcohol is optional.
- Next stir in the remaining 2 cups milk and a vanilla.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.